Case Study – Arson

A fire occurred overnight in a large motor accessories retail store which occupied the ground floor of an old commercial building.  The largely unused upper floor contained the electrical supply intake and distribution board, which showed major arc damage and burning to the surrounding walls and floor where straw bales had been stored.  The floor had burned through and fallen into the shop below.  The fire cause was initially attributed to an electrical malfunction in the distribution board.